Friday, January 13, 2006

For excitement, just add water

I'm not sure what to file this under:
a) Lucky to have made it for this long before it happened
b) What were you thinking, you numbskull?
c) Say-la-vee (how do you spell that anyway?)

The event:
On the eve of new year's eve, I was finally off to bed after a long day of ... of ... well, that's not important right now. We need to focus on what comes next. I pulled back the covers on Big Swampy, that's the name of my waterbed (what, you don't name things in your house?), and was shocked to see water soaking into the sheets. This is never a good thing. What was really odd was that the water was coming from underneath the mattress. And the cats were acting very casual and cool. All of them. Hmmm...

After stripping the sheets and poking around, I found the tiniest of holes down along the side in the corner of the mattrress. Given the size of the hole and way the water was soaking into the sheets, it could have been made days earlier. The water was not spurting out like it did out of Mulder's bed in that X-Files episode with the time loop and the bank hold-up. If that were the case, I think the cats would have been less nonchalant and more chalant, don't you?

I've had the bed for about 10 years now and this is the first time the water has tried to escape the confines of the mattress. Having also owned cats for that long, do you see my confusion about trying to file this event? I'm not sure if I should be surprised that it happened or just surprised that it took so long to happen.

Well, none of the grrllzz has fessed up to being the culprit. And the whole paw posse got a free manicure ... uh ... pedicure ... er ... pawicure ... they got their nails clipped and still have rights to the bed.

The best recommendation given to me when I went running all over town to find a patch kit is to use tire patches for quad tires from the local 4-by-4 dealer. I believe the quote was: "Ain't nothing going to get through that patch." So why isn't the whole mattress made from that material?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can relate to this. The same thing happened to me - except with worse consequences! Mine was also a slow leak. It happened on the 2nd floor and dripped all day while I was at work. I came home to find water dripping from the ceiling in my living room and the braided rug soaking it up like a sponge! Chunks of the textured ceiling were also coming down. The best part of the whole story is that when this happened, the house was up for sale. The realtor had to be contacted and asked to hold any house showings for the next week so the mess could be cleaned up. The house eventually sold and when I think about what happened I chuckle because I'm sure parts of the ceiling were still coming down after we left. The ceiling never had a chance to dry out thoroughly before we painted over it. Oh yah - my solution? The dog and cat were not allowed on the waterbed after that ...
Viv