Friday, August 25, 2006

Why the house is clean

Hmm, looking at that title, perhaps it should read instead: Why the house is cleaner than it has been in a while. If Einstein's theory of relativity was explained in terms of cleanliness rather than time and space, every shmo on the street would understand. "Clean enough" means something different for everyone, dig? A postulate to the theory of cleanliness is that the level of acceptable cleanliness is directly correlated with the advancements in window technology. The dirt in the corners didn't bother us when we couldn't see it. When floors were dirt and windows were holes in the walls, less vacuuming was done. OK, maybe it had something to do with vacuums not existing yet. I still think the postulate works. Let in more light and the furball hair floating through the room is more visible, capiché?

The reason for the spate of scrubbing is that my sister and bro-in-law, Viv and Dilbert, are crashing here for a week. I believe the house will be clean enough for them by the time they arrive (is the ticking of that clock getting louder?) If instead my parents were visiting, I would have started cleaning six months ago in order to feel that the result was just barely near the level my mother set for spic-'n-spaniness. That cleaning binge might involve cleaning under the lino and behind the paneling, for instance. On the other hand, my sister gets a clean kitchen, laundered towels and bedding, and a swept floor. I'll even clean both the bathrooms before I call it "clean enough."

The problem with this whole plan is that the Paw Posse continually sets me back. Just when I manage to get the floor to be not-crunchy from either food crumblets or scattered litter, one of the grrllzz wanders over to Food In or Food Out and entropy ensues. This phenomenon is known as perpetual exertion, a lemma to the theory perpetual motion (I'm not sure if that's correct; I just wanted to use the word 'lemma').

I have to go sweep again. Check back for highlights during the week, tentatively titled Dilbert Said Wha'?

No comments: