Monday, January 01, 2007

Blog Transmogrification

I've been thinking a lot about this blog lately. Perhaps some of that time could have been spent actually posting to it but I couldn't post while thinking.

I started blogging because the geek in me wanted yet another reason to play with my computer. That has been accomplished just fine. The form this blog has taken is also OK—to a point. I've found a lot of other blogs based in education and gadgets and time wasting and blog accessorizing (see right-hand column). While these are all interests of mine, I often want to pose questions or make comments about my job as a math teacher without my personality impacting the way people who know me read them. I want the issue to be at the forefront, not me. Most of you readers know who I am; there are very few who don't (I do not think you, Rainbow Hemp, are responsible for any more than, oh, 500 of the hits to this blog).

Therefore, I think I am going to start another blog for the sole purpose of talking about education topics. I've been following KFluff's blog for a while and appreciate her posts about using blogs with her students and other topics surrounding academic blogs in general. For a myriad of reasons, I think the edu-blog should best be done anonymously. I'm sure I'll be making comments about my classes and campus-life here once in a while but those instances and occurrences that get stuck between my teeth will probably be addressed elsewhere. I think separating Me the Geek from Dr. Me the Prof will allow me to think about my postings differently. Hey, this whole thing (blogging, living day-to-day, etc.) is an experiment in bending reality to suit our needs anyhow, right? I'm just bending it a little more.

So Mostly Filler will remain mostly as is. The only change will be the thinning of the links on the right. I'm taking the education-based blogs and going elsewhere. The hard part is going to be coming up with a name for this new blog. Hopefully I'll see you there, wherever that is.

No comments: