Friday, August 08, 2008

Another manifestation of the obesity epidemic

The ongoing societal problem of obesity has recently become an individual problem for mói. 


No, my friends, I did not wake up to find myself a pre-teen taking medication for cholesterol. Nor did I have to purchase two adjacent seats, one for each buttock, on the plane that will be whisking me to Italy. My friends, societal obesity is now directly affecting my wardrobe. "How can this be?" I hear you cry. It's quite simple, really. 

I do a great deal of clothes shopping at the local Bonne Velonté outlet ... er, the Good Will eight blocks up the hill. Considering that I shop near the bottom of the clothing food chain, think for a moment about who these clothes once belonged to. Obese people donate just as much clothing as, uh, norms do and since there are more obeses in the wild, there is more obese-size clothing hitting the racks. 

Very rarely do I walk out empty handed but I did after my last trip. The shirts looked like car cozies. The fleece vests were the size of large sheep. The pants resembled two industrial smokestacks sewn together. The footwear ... well, footwear is not something I buy used but one has to glance at the rack, right?


Absolutely stunning. These make me think a bowling shoe mated with a ... bowling shoe. In fact, many generations of inbreeding must have occurred. Or is this what happens when Christian Louboutin has nipped a little too frequently at the bubbly while at the design table?

3 comments:

Frenchie Foo said...

Geometric shapes + bright colors... and they don't even have a cute heel! I'm so glad you passed them up. Quelle horreur!

Andrea said...

It's the lack of a heel that gives you pause?!?

Amelia said...

I think they look like a stained glass window. Perhaps you should've picked them up for inspiration...!