Monday, December 22, 2008

Not part of the mob

The T and I are two units in the masses traveling for the holidays.
There is a certain mindset you have to shoot for in order to stay sane
in the airport and truly appreciate the signs that read "Thank you for
participating in security." This time of year--and this year in
particular--winter wardrobes collide head on with TSA suggested
footwear. Sorry but I am not packing my winter boots when I'll need
them to board my dog sled transportation in the midwest.

Anyhooo, we left the house eight hours before our flight time in order
to give ourselves a huge cushion of time in case we had to deal with
any unexpected events on our way to the aeroport, like the yuppie
jackass in the Jeep Cherokee who was trying to reach warp speed on the
snow covered road. We made it to the Emerald City with no problems but
wonder where the plows are. The state must own at least one, right?

The scene at the aeroport is total simmering chaos but none if it
involves The T and I. Two airlines cancelled all their flights out
yesterday so there are a few stranded people standing around in
corrals. It was hard to navigate until we got close to the American
Airlines counter. Then the sea of humanity parted and we left the
crowds behind. We both feel like we cheated somehow. We even have
seats on the plane! Something is going to go wrong at some point but I
don't know what is left. The bag is checked, my belly full and my
boarding pass looks legit. I had no idea my karma account had such an
overflow of points.

On to Chicago and single-digit temperatures!!

Sent from my iPhone

2 comments:

Amelia said...

OK, so did you arrive in Chicago? Or are you still on the other side of the pond? It actually started to R-A-I-N tonight. Quite exciting!! ;-)

Andrea said...

We made it there AND back (that second part is more of a bonus every day when dealing with the travel industry). There was often a 5-degree or more temp. difference between Chicago and Milwaukee, our final destination after landing. I guess the difference between cold and colder is nil in the long run.