Sunday, May 13, 2007

Wish I'd said that

In addition to my "things that moved me" collection of images from the web* that have accumulated on my harddrive, bits are also lost to the large volume of comic strips that flood my inbox on a daily basis. I am often amazed at the artists' talent for condensing a huge issue into a panel that cuts to the heart of the matter. Think: political or editorial cartoons. On the other hand, I also love how a single line can be given an entire back-story and fleshed out in a mere three panels. Think: the daily comics section of the newspaper. Ones that make me think or make me laugh or make me think I should have laughed or that I laugh at when instead I should be thinking are stored in a folder called Digital Bliss.
*= updated 5/13/07

Very often, it is a punchline from one of these comic strips that becomes my mantra for the week, the phrase I will mumble to myself when the silver lining of the cloud reveals itself to be an array of one thousand sharpened razor blades poised to rain down on me. I would like to share one of these with you now. In an effort to hold the copyright lawyers at bay, I will only post the final panel and provide the preceding panels as text.
(Note: if this blog ever goes viral the chances that one reader in the surfing horde is a copyright lawyer with an expertise in syndication rights are pretty good and I'm not willing to flirt with that form of disaster right now.)

From: Agnes by Tom Cochran
Agnes: When I'm really looking forward to something, it never turns out as great as I had imagined. And when I'm really dreading something, it's never as bad as I had imagined.


No comments: