Saturday, March 08, 2008

Scouting Math in the Wild

The 3rd grade Brownie had no idea what she started when she asked The
T and I if we wanted to buy some Girl Scout cookies. Since we both
work in math we couldn't let the opportunity for a mathematical
transaction to occur before we handed over our cold hard cash for
scout crack, aka thin mints. Actually I watched somewhat helplessly as
Scout was forced to do math on what she thought was her weekend.
It turns out that nowhere on the box does it say how many cookies are
in the box. Scout was asked by The T to figure out this little piece
of information. For $4, this girl had to do a lot of math. Based on
the serving size and the number of said serving sizes in the box,
Scout calculated 36 cookies. Nice job, my stomach growled, as I
interceded on Scout's behalf and forked over the money.
A teacher's work is never done and these cookies taste great.

Sent from my iPhone

No comments: