Friday, March 14, 2008

Translation Needed

LeBron James--a basketball player, for those of you who may recognize
the name but not the reason for his fame--will be gracing the cover of
Vogue in April. I read this in the sports section of the paper, by the
way, right next to the NBA standings and stats box. League leading
scorer and magazine cover model says of the event: "[I'm] a big guy
and a big supporter of fashion."

I'm sorry but what the heck does that mean? He is 6-foot-9 so I get
the big guy part but what does it mean to support fashion? Is it
endangered? I'm stumped.

Fashion strikes me as something that exists because gawkers exist.
Kind of along the lines of the field of dreams: if you build it they
will come. But a fashion show is cornier than any field in Iowa. I've
tried to understand. Honestly. I mean, I watched the Devil Wears
Prada. I heard Meryl explain to Anne that the only reason her sweater
was that particular shade of cerulean--not just blue, mind you, but
cerulean--was because an anorexic model was seen wearing it on a
runway six months earlier. Uh, right. I'm sorry but that sounds
remarkably like we're recalling millions of pounds of beef now because
we don't like the way that cow at the slaughterhouse looked six months
ago.

Hmmm, once again I'm not sure how we got here but I've enjoyed the ride.

Sent from my iPhone

No comments: