Thursday, April 24, 2008

Earth Day +2

I missed the official holiday by two days but I still managed to do something nice for the planet. I ventured where few brave souls will go (at least that's how it is in my mind): the toilet tank. Both toilets have been running slowly but oh so constantly for some time now and I finally decided to stop ignoring it. The T was aware of the issues also. For some reason both of us thought the repairs were going to be a much bigger deal than either turned out to be.

Toilet 1 involved turning the floaty-ball-thingie two or three times in a clockwise direction so it would get higher sooner and shut the water off before it began flowing down the overflow pipe into the bowl. In retrospect: well, duh!

Toilet 2 involved directions that called for an actual tool, pliers (not used), and a sponge and the dismantling of the water filler system thingie. There is something disconcerting about directions that say "hand tighten only." Whose hands? Have you ever seen a plumber who does not look like he might be able to crack walnuts with his bare hands? I'm not delicate like a flower but I'm not crackin' any nuts with my hands.

And speaking of plumbers and cracks ... oh, never mind. We avoided that stereotype, gang.

We're back to non-running toilets and feeling all good about ourselves. Sorry we didn't do it sooner, Mother.

No comments: