Saturday, May 31, 2008

Animal, Vegetable or Mineral?

The T and I were discussing a news item the other day. As happens more often than not, hilarity ensued. The item of note was a kangaroo round-up and euthanization in Australia. An animal rights spokesperson was quoted along the lines of: America does not kill bald eagles. China does not kill pandas. And New Zealand does not kill kiwis. We are the only nation that kills its national symbol.

Our reaction:

The T: OK, isn't the bald eagle back from the brink of extinction? Isn't the panda endangered?

Me: Yeah. And isn't the kiwi a vegetable?!?

After the numbness in my arm faded from The T's noogie-punch, I sought out the kiwi wiki, giggled over that fortuitous spelling coincidence, and learned how wrong I was. I owe New Zealand an apology. While the furry fruit is yummy, your national symbol is admirable.

Neither fruit nor fowl fly, by the way.


No comments: